Friday, September 23, 2011

I don't know what to title this - fear and loathing, perhaps?

Ok, now I know I'm missing something. It must be the Yahoo site.

Remember on the tenth anniversary of 9/11 I wrote about people making jokes about it on the Yahoo Australia website? Well, it seems to have gotten worse.

Ahmadinejad made a speech in the UN, predictably anti-Semitic and anti-West - especially anti-American. In the comments section after the story - 74 comments and counting - he's being PRAISED for being brave and speaking out against injustice. And this isn't from Iranians living in Aus, these are people like me; Bruce, Kevin, Macca. Supposedly ordinary Australians, praising one of the most hateful men of this particular generation. And the people who are calling him out and accusing him of human rights atrocities are having their comments BLOCKED DUE TO LOW APPROVAL RATINGS.

What the fuck is going on? I feel like I've gone to sleep, woken up and the crazies really have taken over the asylum. I'm actually not a little scared at the moment.

5 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

It sounds like a Marxist mob attack, similar to the human wave tactics used by the Chinese in the Korean War. I wouldn't be surprised if those "Bruces" and "Kevins" belong to the same organisation.

The Unbearable Banishment said...

No worries. The majority are in the know. Everyone walked out of his rant and he played to a nearly empty chamber. He's staying in the hotel across from where I work. In the morning, they block off 6th Avenue when he gets in his limo to go to the UN. Yesterday, the stopped and waved at the crowd of tourists who had gathered down the block. They waved back! Look what celebrity does to people. Feh.

Eric said...

It's weird the lengths people will go against actual logic to be proud to have their own avant garde view, just because it is counter to what others think mostly. And like you point out, it's scary when the institutions which should know better (the media) adopt this mindset.

VEG said...

You know, honestly, it's Yahoo. I can't read the most innocent article on that piece of crap place without exploding at the ignorance. It's like anyone who is ignorant, racist, sexist, overly religious, homophobic etc, etc, make a beeline for Yahoo to spew their hate. And it's painful because not only are they ignorant, they're illiterate half the time and rude. It's as if they let all the demented people out and gave them a computer. They all go to Yahoo. I can't even read the stupid comments anymore because they're always from assholes and it always makes me want to reply to each one of them letting them know it. And as you said, anyone with the voice of logic who might post there gets voted down and eliminated. STUPID. Why they even enable comments on news stories is beyond me. It's not like they're going to get a reasonable DEBATE.

tennysoneehemingway said...

GB: I thought that myself. It's hard to tell though. I kind of hope so.

UB: Exactly. Perhaps those who waved back had no idea who they were waving to?

Eric: it's sad that anyone would even think that way. But all too true, as you said.

Veg: yeah, I'm going to have to stop reading the Yahoo comments. It's definitely the site.